Food additives that contain aluminum
The following is cited from the website of the Food and Drug Adminitration to show food consumers the aluminum salts that are legally allowed in foods or animal feeds or during food processing.
- Aluminum ammonium sulfate - B&N, GRAS - 182.1127
- Aluminum calcium silicate - AC, GRAS/FS - 182.2122 -< 2% by wt - Table salt; Part 169.179, Vanilla Powder
- Aluminum nicotinate - DS, REG, As a source of niacin in foods for special dietary use - 172.310
- Aluminum phosphide (phosphine) -FUM, REG, Tolerances for Residues - 40 CFR 180.225
- Aluminum potassium sulfate - B&N, GRAS
- Aluminum salts of fatty acids - MISC, REG, GMP - Binder, emul, and AC agent - 172.863
- Aluminum sodium sulfate - B&N, GRAS
- Aluminum stearate - AF, REG, X-ref - Defoaming agent comp - 173.340 (Used in processing beet sugar & yeast)
- Aluminum sulfate - MISC, GRAS, Part 582 - Animal feed; REG, <2.0% in combo. w/<2.0% of 1-octenyl succinic anhydride -In modifying food starch -172.892; FEED,GMP/GRAS - 582.1125
- Cryolite (Sodium aluminum fluoride) - fluorine compounds - Tolerances for Residues 40 CFR 180.145
- Defoaming agents and components Dimethylpolysiloxane, polyoxyethylene 40 monostearate, Polysorbate 60, Polysorbate 65, propylene glycol alginate, silicon dioxide, sorbitan monostearate, aluminum stearate (For use in processing beet sugar and yeast only - 173.340); butyl stearate, BHA, BHT, calcium stearate, fatty acids, hydroxylated lecithin, isopropyl alcohol, magnesium stearate, mineral oil, petrolatum, odorless light petroleum hydrocarbons, Petroleum waxes, Synthetic isoparaffinic petroleum hydrocarbons, Oxystearin, Polyethylene glycol, Polyoxyethylene (600) dioleate, Polyoxyethylene (600) mono-ricinoleate, polypropylene glycol, polysorbate 80, potassium stearate, propylene glycol mono & diesters of fats and fatty acids, soybean oil fatty acids - hydroxylated; tallow - hydrogenated, oxidized, or sulfated; hydrogenated tallow alcohol. n-Butoxypolyoxyethylene (AF, REG, For use in processing beet sugar only - 173.340); polyoxypropylene glycol formaldehyde, sodium polyacrylate, synthetic petroleum wax, oleic acid from tall oil fatty acids - AF, REG, In foods. See individual chemicals for uses and limitations - 173.340
- Fatty acids, salts of (aluminum, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium) - MISC, REG, In foods as binder, emulsifier, and anticaking agent - 172.863; FEED, REG, GMP, 573.640; CTG, REG, X-ref - coatings on fresh citrus fruit - 172.210
- Pyrophyllite (aluminum silicate monohydrate) -AC/MISC, REG, < 2.0% in complete animal feed - As sole anticaking aid, blending agent, pelleting aid, or carrier in animal feed - 573.900
- Sodium aluminate - BC, REG, Comp of boiler water additive - 173.310; GRAS, Migr to food from paper and paperboard prods - 182.90
- Sodium aluminosilicate (sodium silicoaluminate) - AC, GRAS/FS, < 2%, Dried whole eggs and egg yolks -160.105, 160.185; Grated Cheeses - 133.146; GRAS, < 2% -182.2727
- Sodium aluminum phosphate - MISC, GRAS/FS, Self-rising Flours & Meals - Part 137; EMUL, GRAS/FS, Cheeses, Various - Part 133; GRAS, GMP - 182.1781; In animal feeds - 582.1781
- Sodium aluminum sulfate - MISC, GRAS/FS, Cereal Flours - Part 137
- Sodium calcium aluminosilicate hydrated (sodium calcium silicoaluminate) - AC, GRAS, GMP, < 2% - 182.2729
- Sodium silicoaluminate - AC, GRAS/FS, X-ref - Sodium aluminosilicate - Dried whole eggs and egg yolks - 160.105, 160.185
- Potassium alum - MISC, FS, Part 137, Flour; REG, used as comp of bleaching agent for dairy pdts in cheese prepn in Part 133 (133.102, 133.103, 133.104, 133.106, 133.111, 133.141, 133.165, 133.181, 133.195)
Please note that this is not a complete list of food additives that contain aluminum salt. Many other additives including articifial colorings or colorants also contain aluminum salt.
Just because the FDA allows the additives to be used does not mean all of them are safe. If food consumers may pay some attention to this issue, they would find that FDA now bans many additives that were allowed in the past.
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Antibiotics Use by Livestock Producers is Not Improving
- Join the Food Revolution!
- Glyphosate found in some breakfast foods - new study
- DARK Act Comeback Inevitable? - newsletter 042416 from Organic Consumers Association
- Big Ag attacks organics - from EWG
Rate this article