Healthy Recipes: Ribbon Tea Sandwiches
Ribbon Tea Sandwiches
If you like this recipe, fund the research behind it.
No afternoon tea is complete without the deliciously dainty tea sandwiches that accompany it. But white bread and cucumber are hardly a substantial meal. Turn this Victorian tradition into your own summer ritual by serving these ribbon tea sandwiches. Complete with omega-3-rich tuna and protein-packed egg salad, this healthy snack is only 250 calories per serving. Add a pitcher of iced tea and a plate of crisp veggies and indulge in this timeless classic.
Ribbon Tea Sandwiches
* 1 can (6 oz.) albacore tuna packed in water
* 4 Tbsp. low fat mayonnaise, divided
* 2 Tbsp. minced chives
* Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
* 4 large eggs, hard cooked, peeled, quartered
* 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
* 8 slices whole-wheat bread
* 8 slices firm white bread
* 1 cucumber, sliced into paper-thin rounds
In food processor, mix tuna with 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise until smooth. Transfer to bowl and clean out processor. Mix in chives and season tuna to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Place eggs in food processor and pulse to chop coarsely. Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of mayonnaise and mustard. Pulse until yolks are creamy and egg whites finely chopped. Season egg salad to taste with salt and pepper.
To assemble these layered sandwiches: Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons of tuna on a whole-wheat slice and lay white bread slice on top. Place a layer of sliced cucumber on top of that, and spread 2 tablespoons egg salad on the cucumber-topped white bread. Lay down another slice of wheat bread and spread 1 1/2 tablespoons tuna. Close sandwich with a piece of white bread. Repeat to form four sandwiches, alternating between tuna and egg salad. Wrap each sandwich in wax paper.
Refrigerate all stacked sandwiches for 4 to 24 hours. When ready to serve, trim off all crusts with serrated knife. Cut each stacked sandwich into 4 long rectangles and arrange on serving plate.
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving (2 long rectangles): 250 calories, 7 g. total fat (2 g. saturated fat), 27 g. carbohydrates,
16 g. protein, 5 g. dietary fiber, 450 mg. sodium.
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Actor Channing Tatum to Appear at Amazonian Beverage Maker RUNA's Booth at Natural Products Expo West
- One bad apple…
- Elevated cholesterol and triglycerides may increase the risk for prostate cancer recurrence
- Documentary “Shots in the Dark” Delves into Catastrophic Vaccine Reactions
- Stillbirth may increase women's long term risk for depression