Healthy Recipes: American Irish Stew
Luck of the Irish Stew
American Irish Stew
St. Patrick’s Day is a great time to experiment with different Irish staples like root vegetables and lean meat. This stew boasts hearty vegetables like carrots and parsnips, which contain carotenoids, potent antioxidants that help maintain healthy cells. A moderate amount of beef gives the one-pot a full flavor and powerful protein. Give this meal a real cancer-protective punch by pairing it with something green – a fresh salad or some steamed veggies. Bonus points if you eat green while wearing green!
Makes 6 servings.
Per 1¼ cups serving: 370 calories, 8 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 43 g carbohydrate,
32 g protein, 6 g dietary fiber, 427 mg sodium.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1¼ lbs. beef, top round, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (stew beef with the fat trimmed may be substituted)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups low-fat, reduced-sodium beef broth, or as needed
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 leek, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into large chunks (optional)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and garlic. Cook, gently stirring until meat is evenly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add onion, carrots and parsnips. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 75 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Stir in potatoes and simmer another 30 minutes. Add rosemary and leeks. Continue to simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender. Do not overcook to avoid potatoes falling apart.
- Serve hot and garnish with parsley.
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Healthy Recipes: Pear and Jicama Salsa
- Some weight loss supplements commonly used in 2012
- Yacon root extract may help type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Coenzyme Q10 helps heart failure too
- Are the two FDA-approved weight loss drugs safe?