Healthy Recipes: Brussels Sprout Slaw with Cranberries and Walnuts
Bring on the Brussels Sprouts!
Brussels Sprout Slaw with Cranberries and Walnuts
No other vegetable has caused such controversy at the dinner table. Some may love their fresh sweetness, while others loathe their tangy bitterness. If you’re still wary of these mini cabbages, try this easy slaw with a sweet touch of apples, dried cranberries and walnuts to cut down on the bitter flavor. It packs a delicious punch and adding cruciferous vegetables, like Brussels sprouts, to your diet can help lower risk for certain cancers, especially those of the colon, mouth, esophagus and stomach.
Makes 8 servings.
Per 1/2 cup serving: 120 calories, 7 g fat (1 g sat fat), 16 g carbohydrates,
3 g protein, 3 g fiber, 130 mg sodium.
- 3/4 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 1 Fuji or Gala apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice (see Notes)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- If Meyer lemons are not available, use 1/4 cup regular fresh lemon juice.
- If your food processor does not have a shredding dish, quarter Brussels sprouts vertically and place in food processor fitted with a chopping blade. Pulse until sprouts are finely chopped, stopping several times to scrape down bowl. Take care not to leave big chunks or to turn sprouts into mush.
- Trim bottom from sprouts and remove any loose or bruised leaves. Place shredding disk or fine slicing disk in food processor, and using feeder tube, gradually shred Brussels sprouts; there will be about 4½ cups (see Notes). Transfer shredded sprouts to mixing bowl.
- Add apple, cranberries, walnuts, salt, pepper and lemon juice and stir with a fork for 1 minute to combine well. Add oil and stir well. Cover and refrigerate slaw for 3 hours to overnight. Re-stir before serving. This slaw is best served within 24 hours.
- L-Arginine helps type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Another Reminder To Ditch Cans And Eat Fresh Food
- Organic Veterans Join Farm Policy Research Group
- How can I renew my U.S. passport by mail?
- Product News: Blue Bell introduces new Red Velvet Cake Ice Cream