Healthy Recipes: Panko Crusted Chicken with Grilled Peach Salsa
Warm up Fall with Fruit
Panko Crusted Chicken with Grilled Peach Salsa
A cooler season is just around the corner, but summer’s produce can still be found. This recipe features sweet peaches, grilled and mixed with fresh mint and spicy jalapeños for a cancer-fighting fruit salsa. One medium-size peach contains about 58 calories along with beta-carotene and other carotenoids – antioxidant phytochemicals that protect us from cancer. Spread on top of lean, panko-coated chicken for a protein-rich meal that’s a perfect combination of sweet and savory.
Makes 4 servings. Serving= 1 chicken cutlet with 1/4 cup peach salsa.
Per serving: 214 calories, 4 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 g carbohydrate,
27 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 121 mg sodium.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 4 medium peaches, halved and pitted
- 2 green onions (scallions), finely sliced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh mint chopped
- 1 tsp. honey (optional)
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 (1 lb. total) chicken cutlets
- Fresh mint leaves or lime wedges for garnish
- Spray grill or grill pan with cooking spray. Heat to medium high heat. Place peaches flesh side down and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes until peach is tender and heated through. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper. When peaches are cool enough to handle chop into chunks, add and gently toss to thoroughly combine salsa. Cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes or make in advance and refrigerate.
Makes about 2½ cups
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In bowl, season panko with garlic powder, cayenne pepper if using and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place egg in shallow bowl and panko crumbs in another bowl. Dip chicken into egg, then dredge chicken in panko crumbs. Arrange on baking sheet repeating with remaining cutlets.
- Bake chicken on each side for 10 minutes for total cooking time of 20 minutes. Then broil for about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve chicken with peach salsa on top and garnish with fresh mint leaves or lime wedges.
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Does olive oil reduce the risk of breast cancer?
- Recalls of Frozen Vegetables, Frozen Fruit, and Other Products Related to Investigation of Listeria Illnesses
- Zinc oxide increases oxidative stress
- Food Allergies: What You Need to Know
- USDA Urges Consumers to Keep Clear of the Danger Zone This Summer