Healthy Recipes: Pan Seared Fennel and Orange Salad
Try something new this week by adding warm seared fennel to your cool side salad. The fennel bulb is used in this recipe; it’s a little sweeter than celery, has half the sodium and is a better source of vitamin C, fiber and cancer-fighting phytochemicals. Mix with baby greens and a sweet orange dressing for a healthy combination. Having a salad with or before your meal is a great way to add variety without a lot of extra calories.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 120 calories, 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 g carbohydrate,
2 g protein, 5 g dietary fiber, 100 mg sodium.
- Whisk all ingredients for dressing, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cut about 1/2 inch off top and bottom of orange, enough to expose flesh. Stand orange up on cutting board. Using sharp knife, cut down and around orange, removing skin and pith, until no skin or pith remains. Hold orange in one hand over a bowl. With other hand, run small sharp knife along right and left sides of individual sections, loosening and freeing them, one by one, from membranes. Continue until orange is completely sectioned. Discard membrane. Set sections aside.
- Rinse and pat fennel dry. Cut about 1/4 inch off bottom of bulb, cut in half and trim out and discard heart. Slice bulb into 1/4-inch slices.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in medium skillet. Once hot, add fennel slices, salt and pepper to taste, and cook for 2 to 4 minutes until caramelized and golden on both sides. Add oranges, then toss mixture with 2 tsp. dressing. Remove from heat.
- Toss salad greens with onion, olives and remaining dressing. Top salad with golden fennel and toss lightly to combine flavors. Garnish with more mint, if desired.
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Baltimore City Council Unanimously Passes Resolution Calling for End to Overuse of Antibiotics on Factory Farms
- FDA Updates for Health Professionals - 012915
- Farm Bureau Case Challenging EPA's Right to Share Factory Farm Data Dismissed
- Documentary “Shots in the Dark” Delves into Catastrophic Vaccine Reactions
- Green tea fights obesity