Healthy Recipes: Savory Pumpkin Soup
If you just found out your favorite pumpkin latte has over 300 calories, treat yourself to a rich pumpkin soup that’s also good for your health. This vegetarian starter offers the benefits of high fiber without the fat and calories of a cream-based soup. All winter squash, like pumpkin, is rich in carotenoids. These antioxidants help promote normal cell growth and have been shown to reduce risk for cancers of the mouth, pharynx, larynx and lung.
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving(6 servings): 71 calories, 1 g total fat (<1 g saturated fat), 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, 0 g dietary fiber, 284 mg sodium.
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 4 cups pumpkin purée (canned or fresh) (butternut squash may be substituted)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. light whipping cream (optional)
- 1 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Nutmeg (optional) 1/2 tsp
- In large pot over medium-high heat add 3 cups broth, pumpkin, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce to low and simmer uncovered, about 30 minutes.
- Purée mixture until smooth, in small batches, using blender or food processor. Return to pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for another 30 minutes. Add remaining broth as desired. (Optional, stir in cream.)
- Pour into bowls. Garnish with parsley (or sprinkle of nutmeg) and serve.
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Fresh Frozen™ Vegetables Recalled
- Prominent Government Watchdog Asks Obama Administration to Remove Organic Leadership at USDA
- Hospira Issues A Voluntary Nationwide Recall Of One Lot Of Bupivacaine HCl Injection Due To Potential Iron Oxide Particulate In Glass Vials
- Organic Watchdog Grows Scientific Staff, Leadership Capacity The Cornucopia Institute Adds Staff, Announces Board Election Results
- Addictive and Toxic: Found in Bread, Pasta Sauce and Salad Dressing