Apple Oat Muffins
(Makes 12 medium muffins)
1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups quick oats or oat bran
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 large apples, finely chopped
1 12-ounce can apple juice concentrate
1/2 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 325°F.
In a large bowl, mix the flours, oats, spices, salt, and baking soda. Add the chopped apple along with the apple juice concentrate and raisins. Stir just enough to mix. Spoon batter into nonstick or lightly oil-sprayed muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes, or until tops bounce back when pressed lightly.
Recipe from Food for Life, by Neal Barnard, M.D.
Originally published on PCRM.org and republished with permission
- Healthy Recipes: Chicken Baked with Cabbage and Leek
- Red meat, particularly processed red meat raises risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Appearance by Agribusiness Executive at Organic Conference Stirs Controversy (PR)
- Study suggests whole diet approach to lower CV risk has more evidence than low-fat diets (PR)
- Tell USDA to Protect Organic and Non-GE Farmers--Don’t Punish Them