Healthy Recipes: Black Bean Fiesta Salad
This salad is great on top of any type of lettuce, served with chips, or eaten straight out of the bowl!
Makes 2 servings
2 cups cooked or canned low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked corn kernels
1/4 cup minced red onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, minced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Dash of cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
To make the salad, place all the ingredients in a large bowl and stir gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
Per Serving: 394 calories; 2 g fat; 5% calories from fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g protein; 80 g carbohydrates; 13 g sugar; 21 g fiber; 158 mg sodium
Source: Power Foods for the Brain by Neal Barnard, M.D.; Recipe by Christine Waltermyer.
Please feel free to tailor PCRM recipes to suit your individual dietary needs.
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Do statins increase and Mediterranean diet decrease the risk of breast cancer?
- USDA Asked to Make Public All Nominations to National Organic Standards Board
- This "Invisible Food" Contains Hidden Allergens (And Can Sabotage Your Health)
- Drinking tea helps weight loss or prevents obesity
- Coffee, chocolate may help HIV carriers with hepatitis C virus