Food for Life Recipe of the Week: Ratatouille
This dish is perfect for the end of summer and beginning of fall months when all of the vegetables you need are in season and can be found at your local farmers market!
Makes 10 1-cup servings
1/2 cup water
2 onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large eggplant, diced
2 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped, or 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 medium zucchini, sliced
Heat the water in a large pot and add onions and garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
Stir in eggplant, tomatoes, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Cover and simmer, stirring frequently, until eggplant is just tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
Stir in bell pepper and zucchini. Cover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Per Serving: 47 calories; 0.3 g fat; 0.1 g saturated fat; 5.3% calories from fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 1.5 g protein; 11.4 g carbohydrates; 5.2 g sugar; 2.8 g fiber; 124 mg sodium; 21 mg calcium; 0.7 mg iron; 19.5 mg vitamin C; 293 mcg Beta Carotene; 0.5 mg vitamin E
Source: Healthy Eating for Life to Prevent and Treat Diabetes by Patricia Bertron, R.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D.
Please feel free to tailor PCRM recipes to suit your individual dietary needs.
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Investigation: “Factory Farms” Producing Massive Quantities of Organic Milk and Eggs
- Cold Soup is the Hottest Product Trend at BevNET Live Winter 2014 Conference
- 5 Ways to Amp Up your New Year’s Diet Resolution
- FDA MedWatch - 0.9 Percent Sodium Chloride Injection USP in 100 mL MINI-BAG PLUS Container by Baxter: Recall - Particulate Matter
- Prince George Officially Ends Fluoridation - newsletter form fluoridealert.org