Vegetarian recipes: Zucchini Corn Fritters
Typically, any type of fritter is deep fried and dripping with oil. These Zucchini Corn Fritters, however, only use your choice of oil spray to keep them from sticking to the pan—all the flavor without the fat!
Makes 16 fritters
1 1/3 cups fortified soy or rice milk
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium zucchini
1 cup fresh, frozen, or canned corn
vegetable oil spray, if needed
Combine nondairy milk and vinegar. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Chop or grate zucchini (you should have about 1 cup), then add to cornmeal mixture. Add nondairy milk mixture and corn. Stir to mix.
Lightly spray a nonstick griddle or skillet with vegetable oil, if needed, and heat until a drop of water dances on the surface. Pour on small amounts of batter and cook until edges are dry, about 2 minutes. Carefully turn with a spatula and cook second side until golden brown, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
Per fritter: 60 calories; 0.6 g fat; 0.1 g saturated fat; 8.5% calories from fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g protein; 12 g carbohydrates; 1.2 g sugar; 1 g fiber; 141 mg sodium; 36 mg calcium; 0.8 mg iron; 0.9 mg vitamin C; 64 mcg Beta Carotene; 0.3 mg vitamin E
Source: Healthy Eating for Life to Prevent and Treat Diabetes by Patricia Bertron, R.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D.
Please feel free to tailor PCRM recipes to suit your individual dietary needs.
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Latest USDA Scandal: Organic Program Dismisses Legal Complaints Targeting Factory Farms — Without Investigating
- Bedessee Imports Inc., Voluntarily Recalls Brown Betty Coconut Milk Powder Due to Presence of Undeclared Milk
- Addictive and Toxic: Found in Bread, Pasta Sauce and Salad Dressing
- Elevated cholesterol and triglycerides may increase the risk for prostate cancer recurrence
- Co-Creating a World of Natural & Organic Products? Canada Is First Focus of New MetaBrand International Division