Entrée Recipes: Baby Lima Bean Cassoulet
1 cup dry white baby limas
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
1 pound turkey sausage, sliced 3⁄4-inch thick
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1⁄2 cup chopped onion
4 teaspoons flour
1 can (16-oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 cup dry white wine, divided
Buttered Bread Crumbs
Soak beans by preferred method. In large pot, place soaked beans, 3 cups hot water, salt and bay leaf. Boil gently with lid tilted 20 to 25 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain beans; remove bay leaf. Brown sausage in skillet; remove from pan. Brown chicken in 1⁄2 cup dry white wine. Remove chicken from pan. Sauté onion with additional wine. Stir in flour and add 1 cup water and tomatoes; bring to boil. Arrange beans, sausage and chicken in 13 x 9 x 12-inch oiled baking dish. Pour tomato mixture over beans. Bake, uncovered, at 350ºF. 1 hour or until beans are tender and mixture is thoroughly heated. Garnish with Buttered Bread Crumbs. Makes 6 servings.
BUTTERED BREAD CRUMBS
Sauté 1 cup coarse bread crumbs in 1 tablespoon butter until crumbs are crisp and golden brown. Makes 3/4 cup.
Nutritional Information per Serving:
Calories-416, (From Fat-26%), Protein-28 g, Carbohydrate-47 g, Fat-12 g, Sodium-974 mg, Potassium-1044 mg, Dietary Fiber-6 g, Calcium-78 mg, Iron-4 mg, Vitamin A-520 iu, Vitamin C-14 mg, Cholesterol- 66 mg
Source: calbeans.org/republished with permission
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Biotech and Agribusinesses Spending Heavily to Defeat State GMO Food Labeling Votes
- Xolair (omalizumab): Drug Safety Communication - Slightly Elevated Risk of Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Serious Adverse Events
- Is This Why So Many People Seem to Be Gluten Intolerant Today?
- Parents Overwhelmingly Support Fruits and Vegetables in School Meals
- Cornucopia: USDA Maintains Pattern of Corporate Appointments