Entree Recipes: California Chuckwagon Beans
2 pounds dry red kidney or pink beans
3 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon margarine or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 1/3 cups tomato sauce
1/4 cup vinegar
Soak and cook beans by preferred method. Sauté onions and garlic in margarine or oil until clear, not browned; stir in chili powder, mustard and cumin; add tomato sauce, sugar, vinegar and 1 tablespoon water; add slowly to cooked, drained beans. Cook slowly for 15 minutes, or until flavors are blended. Makes 12 servings.
Chef’s tip: For protein balance, add bits of meat to bean dishes or if you want them vegetarian, add cheese.
Nutritional Information per Serving:
Calories-310, (From Fat-8%), Protein-18 g, Carbohydrate-56 g, Fat-3 g, Sodium-305 mg, Potassium-1018 mg, Dietary Fiber-14 g, Calcium-110 mg, Iron-5 mg, Vitamin A-913 iu, Vitamin C-10 mg, Cholesterol-0 mg
Source: calbeans.org/republished with permission
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Could vitamin D work better than influenza vaccine?
- Cold Soup is the Hottest Product Trend at BevNET Live Winter 2014 Conference
- What temperature to Cook a Turkey - Safe Cooking
- Caralluma fimbriata extract may prevent diabetes mellitus type 2 or insulin resistance
- Investigation: “Factory Farms” Producing Massive Quantities of Organic Milk and Eggs