Soup Recipes: Bean Meatball Soup
Bean Meatball Soup
1 pound dry pink or red kidney beans
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
3/4 cup sliced celery
3/4 cup julienne cut carrots
1 can (14 1/2 -oz.) stewed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons minced parsley
For best results, soak and cook dry beans by preferred method. Drain and rinse. Combine beans, 2 quarts fresh water, onion and garlic. Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours or until beans are almost tender. Add celery, carrots, stewed tomatoes and meatballs. Simmer 25 minutes. Add cabbage and simmer 5 minutes longer. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Combine 1 pound ground beef, 1/4 cup each minced onion and bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons minced parsley, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tea–spoon oregano leaves and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Shape into 24 meat–balls. Brown on all sides in 2 tablespoons oil. Drain excess fat.
Chef’s tip: Leftover Bean Meatball Soup may be frozen.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories-393, (From Fat-27%), Protein-25g, Carbohydrate-48g, Fat-12g, Sodium-548 mg, Potassium-1235 mg, Dietary Fiber-7g, Calcium-118 mg, Iron-6mg, Vitamin A-3582 iu, Vitamin C-19 mg, Cholesterol-73mg
Source: calbeans.org/republished with permission
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- What temperature to Cook a Turkey - Safe Cooking
- New Report Criticizes Yogurt Industry
- The GM Contamination Register: a review of recorded contamination incidents associated with genetically modified organisms (GMOs), 1997–2013
- Parents Overwhelmingly Support Fruits and Vegetables in School Meals
- Elevated cholesterol and triglycerides may increase the risk for prostate cancer recurrence