Diabetes recipes: Spanish Omelet / Tortilla española
Editor's note: These diabetes recipes come from a government website. Republishing these recipes does not constitute our endorsement for using these recipes.
Spanish Omelet / Tortilla española
This tasty dish provides a healthy array of vegetables and can be used for breakfast, brunch, or any meal! Serve with fresh fruit salad and a whole grain dinner roll.
5small potatoes,peeled and sliced
Vegetable cooking spray
½medium onion, minced
1small zucchini, sliced
1½cups green/red peppers, sliced thin
5medium mushrooms, sliced
3whole eggs, beaten
5egg whites, beaten
Pepper and garlic salt with herbs, to taste
3ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1Tbsp. low-fat parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- In a nonstick pan, add vegetable spray and warm at medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until brown. Add vegetables and sauté until tender but not brown.
- In a medium mixing bowl, slightly beat eggs and egg whites, pepper, garlic salt, and low-fat mozzarella cheese. Stir egg-cheese mixture into the cooked vegetables.
- In a 10-inch pie pan or ovenproof skillet, add vegetable spray and transfer potatoes and egg mixture to pan. Sprinkle with low-fat parmesan cheese and bake until firm and brown on top, about 20–30 minutes.
- Remove omelet from oven, cool for 10 minutes, and cut into five pieces.
Note: Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the american Diabetes association Exchange System.
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- EPAM Life Sciences Awarded Grand Prize at Bio-IT World Best Practices Competition 2015
- Latest USDA Scandal: Organic Program Dismisses Legal Complaints Targeting Factory Farms — Without Investigating
- Addictive and Toxic: Found in Bread, Pasta Sauce and Salad Dressing
- Factory Farms Continue to Dominate U.S. Livestock Industry
- Elevated cholesterol and triglycerides may increase the risk for prostate cancer recurrence