Stir-Fried Orange Beef
Tangy orange-flavored beef with crisp vegetables
Recipe Source: Deliciously Healthy Dinners
Prep time Cook time Yields Serving Size
10 minutes 20 minutes 4 servings 2 C meat and vegetables
1 bag (12 oz) frozen vegetable stir-fry
1 Tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
1 Tbsp onion, minced (or 1/2 Tbsp dried)
1 Tbsp garlic, minced (about 2–3 cloves)
1 Tbsp ginger, minced
1 egg white, lightly beaten (or substitute liquid egg white)
2 Tbsp cornstarch
12 oz beef flank steak, sliced into thin strips
3 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp lite soy sauce
1/2 C orange juice
1 Tbsp dry sherry (optional)
Total fat 9 g
Saturated fat 2 g
Cholesterol 28 mg
Sodium 418 mg
Total fiber 3 g
Protein 23 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Potassium 648 mg
1, Thaw frozen vegetables in the microwave (or place entire bag in a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes). Set aside until step 7.
2, Heat oil in a large wok or sauté pan.
3, Add onion, garlic, and ginger and stir fry until tender but not brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4, Put egg white in one bowl and cornstarch in another. Dip steak strips into egg white and then coat with cornstarch.
5, Add steak strips to pan and continue to stir fry until steak strips are lightly browned, about 5–8 minutes.
6, Add Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, orange juice, and sherry (optional), and bring to a boil over high heat. Immediately lower temperature to a gentle simmer.
7, Add the thawed vegetables and mix gently. Simmer until vegetables are heated through, about 3–4 minutes.
8, Divide mixture into four equal portions (about 2 cups each) and serve.
Tip: Delicious over rice or Asian-style noodles (soba or udon).
Photo & recipe courtesy of Keep the Beat™, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
™Keep the Beat is a trademark of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Allergy Alert On Undeclared Milk In Nutrition Resource Services, Inc.'s Whey, Casein, And Colostrum Protein Products
- Kilwin's Quality Confections, Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Cashew in Sugar Free Milk Chocolate Caramels
- Whole Foods Market Recalls Coconut Curry Cauliflower Salad in Twenty-one Stores Due to Undeclared Almonds
- The Kraft Heinz Company Voluntarily Recalls Select Varieties of Kraft Singles Products Due to Potential Choking Hazard
- USDA Criticized for Organic Livestock Proposal
Rate this article