Healthy Eating Recipes: Good-for-You Cornbread
Try this healthier version of a classic comfort food with soups, salads, or the Cornbread-Crusted Turkey or Three-Bean Chili With Chunky Tomatoes
Recipe Source: Deliciously Healthy Dinners
Prep time Cook time Yields Serving Size
10 minutes 25 minutes 10 servings 1 square
1 C cornmeal
1 C flour
1/4 C sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 C low-fat (1 percent) buttermilk
1 large egg
1/4 C soft tub margarine
1 tsp vegetable oil (to grease baking pan)
1, Preheat oven to 350 °F.
2, Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
3, In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
4, Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to dry ingredients.
5, Add margarine and mix by hand or with mixer for 1 minute.
6, Bake for 20–25 minutes in an 8- by 8-inch, greased baking dish. Cool. Cut into 10 squares.
Total fat 6 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 22 mg
Sodium 94 mg
Total fiber 1 g
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 27 g
Potassium 132 mg
Recipe courtesy of Keep the Beat™, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
™Keep the Beat is a trademark of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Organic Trade/Lobby Group Creates "Trojan Horse" to Represent Family Farmers
- Is the Boycott Strategy Working? - newsletter 10-23-2014 from Organic Consumers Association
- Fresh milk keeps infections at bay
- Trade Experts to Convene Reporters’ Briefing on WTO’s Rejection of Country-of-Origin Labeling (COOL)
- EWG Action Alert: Flame retardants