Tuna and Avocado Cobb Salad
Not just a salad, but a delicious meal—try serving with crusty whole-grain bread
Recipe Source: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals
Prep time Cook time Yields Serving Size
20 minutes 0 minutes 4 servings 2 C salad, 2 Tbsp dressing
4 C red leaf lettuce, rinsed and chopped (about 8 leaves)
1 C frozen whole kernel corn, roasted (on a pan in the oven or toaster oven at 400 °F for 7–10 minutes)
1 C carrots, shredded
1 tomato, rinsed, halved and sliced
1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced*
1 C frozen green peas, thawed
1 can (6 oz) canned white albacore tuna in water
2 Tbsp lemon juice (or about 1 fresh lemon)
1 Tbsp lime juice (or about 1 fresh lime)
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and minced (or 1 tsp dried)
1 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp olive oil
Total fat 9 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 18 mg
Sodium 264 mg
Total fiber 6 g
Protein 15 g
Carbohydrates 24 g
Potassium 557 mg
Vitamin A 200%
Vitamin C 50%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
1, Divide and arrange 2 cups of salad ingredients in each of 4 serving bowls.
2, For dressing, combine all ingredients and mix well. Spoon 2 tablespoons over each salad, and serve.
Tip: Look for an avocado that is slightly firm, but soft enough to be gently squeezed. For a description of how to peel and cut an avocado, see the Healthy Eating FAQs in Cooking Resources.
* Use the other half of the avocado for the Quinoa-Stuffed Tomatoes.
Note: Four ounces of fresh grilled tuna steaks, salmon, or shrimp can be substituted for the albacore tuna. For cooking instructions for fresh fish and shellfish, see basic cooking instructions.
Photo & recipe courtesy of Keep the Beat™, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
™Keep the Beat is a trademark of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Could vitamin D work better than influenza vaccine?
- Cold Soup is the Hottest Product Trend at BevNET Live Winter 2014 Conference
- Caralluma fimbriata extract may prevent diabetes mellitus type 2 or insulin resistance
- Investigation: “Factory Farms” Producing Massive Quantities of Organic Milk and Eggs
- Low glycemic diets may not improve cardiovascular outcomes when compared to high-glycemic diets