Broccoli and Cheese
So good, your children will ask for seconds—and a perfect side for most chicken and beef dishes
Recipe Source: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals
Prep time Cook time Yields Serving Size
15 minutes 15 minutes 4 servings 1 1/2 C broccoli, 1/4 C sauce, 1 Tbsp croutons
6 C fresh broccoli, rinsed and cut into bite-sized florets (or substitute 6 C frozen broccoli, thawed and warmed, and skip step 1)
1 C fat-free evaporated milk
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp hot sauce
1 slice whole-wheat bread, diced and toasted (for croutons)*
Total fat 5 g
Saturated fat 3 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 239 mg
Total fiber 4 g
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 19 g
Potassium 601 mg
Vitamin A 70%
Vitamin C 170%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
1, Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add fresh broccoli, and cook until easily pierced by a fork, about 7–10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2, In a separate saucepan, combine evaporated milk and cornstarch. Slowly bring to a boil while stirring often.
3, When the milk comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and add the cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted and evenly mixed.
4, Add the Worcestershire and hot sauces, and stir.
5, Pour cheese over hot broccoli.
6, Sprinkle whole-wheat croutons over broccoli and cheese mixture, and serve.
* Make extra croutons for the Zesty Tomato Soup.
Photo & recipe courtesy of Keep the Beat™, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
™Keep the Beat is a trademark of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Diets high in fruit, vegetables, whole grains and nuts among factors to lower first-time stroke risk
- Organic Trade/Lobby Group Creates "Trojan Horse" to Represent Family Farmers
- Parents Overwhelmingly Support Fruits and Vegetables in School Meals
- Elevated cholesterol and triglycerides may increase the risk for prostate cancer recurrence
- Radiation exposure linked to aggressive thyroid cancers