Breads: Carrot-raising bread
This tasty bread is low in saturated fat and cholesterol, thanks to the small amount of oil and egg used.
1-1/2 C sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 egg, beaten
1/2 C water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 C finely shredded carrots
1/4 C chopped pecans
1/4 C golden raisins
Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly oil a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
Stir together dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Make a well in center of dry mixture.
In separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients; add this mixture all at once to dry ingredients. Stir just enough to moisten and evenly distribute carrots.
Turn into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 5 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and complete cooling on a wire rack before slicing.
Yield: One loaf--Serving Size: 1/2-inch slice
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 3 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 12 mg
Sodium: 97 mg
- Senator Durbin to Reintroduce Supplement Bill
- Trans fat boosts type 2 diabetes mellitus risk
- Healthy Recipes: Mediterranean Bean Salad
- Obesity—One Third of All Cancers are Directly Related to It
- Not Lovin’ It: Consumer Group Asks McDonald’s to Pass on Biotech Fries (PR)
Rate this article