Cakes: Frosted Cake
Use skim milk and low fat cream cheese to lower the saturated fat and calories in this special-occasion cake.
2 1/4 cups cake flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons margarine
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon orange peel
3/4 cup skim milk
3 ounces low fat cream cheese
2 tablespoons skim milk
6 tablespoons cocoa
2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 325° F.
Grease with small amount of cooking oil or use nonstick cooking oil spray on a 10-inch round pan (at least 2 1/2 inches high). Powder pan with flour. Tap out excess flour.
Sift together flour and baking powder.
In a separate bowl, beat together margarine and sugar until soft and creamy.
Beat in eggs, vanilla, and orange peel.
Gradually add the flour mixture alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with flour.
Pour the mixture into the pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until done. Let cake cool for 5 to 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool completely before icing.
Cream together cream cheese and milk until smooth. Add cocoa. Blend well.
Slowly add sugar until icing is smooth. Mix in vanilla.
Smooth icing over top and sides of cooled cake.
Yield: 16 servings--Serving size: 1 slice
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 57 mg
Sodium: 273 mg
Calcium: 70 mg
Iron: 2 mg
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Latest USDA Scandal: Organic Program Dismisses Legal Complaints Targeting Factory Farms — Without Investigating
- Addictive and Toxic: Found in Bread, Pasta Sauce and Salad Dressing
- Don't Miss This New Fluoridation Debate Video
- Elevated cholesterol and triglycerides may increase the risk for prostate cancer recurrence
- EPAM Life Sciences Awarded Grand Prize at Bio-IT World Best Practices Competition 2015
Rate this article