Rice: White Rice
Only 1 tablespoon of oil is used in this tasty and heart-healthy rice dish.
11 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups long-grain white rice
4 cups hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn, peas, carrots, or peppers (optional)
In medium pan, heat oil and saute onion, garlic, and rice. Add hot water and salt. Bring to a full boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes without stirring. If desired, add vegetables, cover, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Uncover, give rice a full turn and cover again. Turn heat off.
Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Each serving provides (without optional vegetables):
Total fat: 3 g
Saturated fat: Less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 183 mg
Calcium: 28 mg
Iron: 2 mg
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Organic Trade/Lobby Group Creates "Trojan Horse" to Represent Family Farmers
- What Effect Does Your Hamburger Have on The Environment? A Lot Says This New Movie
- Soy, allium vegetables, mushroom prevent cancer
- Who is funding the anti-GMO labeling side in Colorado?
- Dow Chemical Co. got the green light