Healthy Recipes: Sweet and Salty Crunchy Mix
A Healthy Crunch
The cold and flu season is upon us and boosting the immune system with good foods is a great way to stay well. This fun mix of fruits, whole grains and nuts will satisfy midday hunger and help keep you healthy. Measure out portions ahead of time to make sure you don't overindulge on this delicious treat.
Sweet and Salty Crunchy Mix
- Canola oil spray
- 2 cups cereal, preferably whole grain, e.g. old fashion rolled oats, puffed whole wheat or brown rice, or low-fat granola
- 2 cups thin pretzels
- 1/2 cup walnuts or almonds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit (preferably unsweetened), e.g. raisins, berries, apples, dates, etc.
- 1/4-1/3 cup honey
Preheat oven to 350 degrees if baking 15 to 20 minutes, and 300 degrees for slower baking for 45 to 60 minutes. Slow baking takes more time but deepens the flavor.
Lightly coat bottom of two baking sheets and set aside. In a large bowl, mix together the cereal, pretzels, nuts and seeds until well combined. Stir in the turmeric until evenly distributed. Stir in the dried fruit.
In a heat-resistant measuring cup, gently warm the honey to thin its consistency in a microwave, or stovetop using a small saucepan containing hot water. Slowly add just enough of the honey into the cereal mixture, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to adhere and form clusters.
Spread the mixture on the baking sheets in a thin layer. Spray with canola oil spray. Bake until cereal is lightly browned, stirring once if baking at 350 degrees, or 3 to 4 times if slow roasting at 300 degrees.
Remove from oven and cool on a rack. Serve immediately or store in a sealed container or in zip-lock plastic bags.
Makes 15 (1/2-cup) servings.
Per serving: 148 calories, 3 g fat (less than 1 g saturated fat), 30 g carbohydrate,
3 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 20 mg sodium.
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Yacon root extract may help type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Some weight loss supplements commonly used in 2012
- Forskolin/rolipram supplements prevent obesity or weight again
- Are the two FDA-approved weight loss drugs safe?
- Coenzyme Q10 helps heart failure too