Battles to end fluoridation have progressed in August (PR)
The momentum continues to build in the battle against fluoridation as Pottstown, Pennsylvania has joined the list of communities that have rejected water fluoridation. In August, the Pottstown Borough Authority voted to cease adding fluoride to their drinking water, though they say it could take up to 6 months for tap water to return to its natural fluoride level. The main reasons cited for rejection by Authority members was the vast availability of topical fluoride in dental products, and a cost savings of $50-60,000 dollars each year.
Battles to end fluoridation have also progressed in August, with
more than a half-dozen North American communities considering ending their their fluoridation programs, including:
- Nelson County, Virginia
- Bolivar, Missouri
- College Station, Texas
- Dunedin, Florida
- Smiths Falls, Ontario
- Williams Lake, British Columbia
- Hinton, Alberta
- Churchhill, Manitoba
Dozens of campaigns are also being organized throughout North America, and as the fall begins local councils and state legislators will be returning from summer vacations to take up the issue of fluoridation.
One such community will be New York City, which provides water to more than 8 million people. The NYC Council currently has a bill introduced by Council Member Peter Vallone, Jr. (along with 7 co-sponsors) prohibiting fluoridation. The bill is awaiting a public hearing, but according to FAN's NY point person, Peter Vallone has stated that he will kick-off the campaign with a press conference and rally on the steps of City Hall this fall when the Council returns from their break. We need all of the support we can get before Vallone kicks off his NYC campaign! Please sign this petitioncalling for an end to fluoridation in NYC. And, if you would like to participate in this monumental campaign, please contactCarol Kopf, our NY point person.
NEW RESOURCES FOR CAMPAIGNERS:
Two major anti-fluoridation resources have been updated by Dr. Connett and the FAN team to help campaigners educate local decision-makers, fellow citizens, and medical professionals. The first and most basic resource is the "Top 10 Arguments Against Fluoridation". The second is the more detailed "50 Reasons to End Fluoridation", which also contains updated citations to the best studies and sources.
For an even more detailed explanation of the dangers of fluoride there is the 28-minute long DVD "Professional Perspectives on Fluoridation," produced by FAN in 2009. And for the those of you who crave the most up-to-date and thorough resource on the dangers of fluoridation, there is the new book "The Case Against Fluoride", co-authored by FAN Director Paul Connett, PhD, James Beck, MD, PhD, and H.S. Micklem, PhD.
- The summer issue (July-Sept. 2011) of the Quarterly Journal of the International Society for Fluoride Research is now available online. Included in this issue is Bruce Spittle's review on the "Neurotoxic Effects of Fluoride". Based on this review, Spittle concludes that there is no safe level of fluoride as far as mental development is concerned. This issue also includes an IQ study from Iran that found an association between fluoride exposure and lowered IQ, bringing the number of studies that have found this fluoride/lowered IQ association to 25, with very few studies showing no association. One such study, from India, showing no association can also be found in this issue.
- If you haven't already visited FAN's YouTube channel, now is the time! Two new videos have been uploaded by Jack Cook, the first being "Don't Swallow Your Toothpaste", a 20 minute documentary originally broadcast on Channel 4 in Great Britain in 1997, which features Dr. Paul Connett and Dr. Andrew Thomas discussing the effects of fluoride on the body. The second video features Dr. William Hirzy and the EPA Union on Fluoridation, including their presentation before Congress calling for a moratorium on water fluoridation.
- Several great articles have been published on fluoride exposure in the past month. The Brandenton Times (Florida) published "Fluoride: Disposing of Mining Waste Through Your Body". In Windsor, Ontario the local paper published this story about the launch of a campaign to remove fluoride from their water. And in Arkansas, where there is a bill being considered by the State Legislature regulating water additives, an article was published entitled, "Fluoride Suppliers Not Co-operating" that highlights the inability of fluoride manufacturers to verify the quality of, and contaminants found in their products.
- And finally, FAN's Facebook page has grown significantly since it's launch last October. In less then a year we have gained more than 13,000 followers, and our daily posts are receiving more than 18,000views due to our supporters forwarding our updates to their friends, family, and co-workers. If you haven't already "Liked" our Facebook page, now is the time to do it so you too can receive daily news, advocacy, and video updates from FAN.
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Xolair (omalizumab): Drug Safety Communication - Slightly Elevated Risk of Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Serious Adverse Events
- Omega 3 fatty acids may help patients with ear, nose and throat cancer
- Probiotics supplements prevent necrotizing enterocolitis
- Addictive and Toxic: Found in Bread, Pasta Sauce and Salad Dressing
- Is This Why So Many People Seem to Be Gluten Intolerant Today?