Majority of American Adults Reject Swine Flu Vaccine
A new poll found the majority of parents have gotten or intend to get their children vaccinated against swine flu, even though the majority of adults either have not gotten or do not intend to get the swine flu vaccine for themselves.
The poll by Harvard School of Public Health shows 44 percent believe the H1N1 flu pandemic is over while 18 percent think another outbreak will very likely come back during the next 12 months.
The poll results released on Friday also show that about 53 percent of parents either got the swine flu vaccine for their children or intend to get it before the end of Feb.
Of adults, only 37 percent have gotten the vaccine or intend to get it before the end of February, while 61 percent have not gotten it or do not intend to receive it.
In a survey conducted in Oct 2009 by ABC News/Washington Post, 62 percent of respondents said they would not get vaccinated.
Dr. Anne Schuchat of the CDC was cited as saying that 70 million Americans have been vaccinated against swine flu or H1N1 virus and that the government has a stockpile of 155 million shots that remain unused; another 229 million have been ordered from five drug makers.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated swine flu activity on Friday saying that the virus was on the decline and that no state reported widespread flu activity during the past week.
But the CDC continues to reiterate that the vaccine is the best medicine to prevent the flu, recommending that all Americans receive the swine flu vaccine.
By Jimmy Downs and editing by Rachel Stockton
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- AMS Health Sciences, LLC Issues Voluntary Recall of Saba Shark Cartilage Complex, 60 Capsule Bottles
- Parents Overwhelmingly Support Fruits and Vegetables in School Meals
- Elevated cholesterol and triglycerides may increase the risk for prostate cancer recurrence
- Addictive and Toxic: Found in Bread, Pasta Sauce and Salad Dressing
- Hospira Announces Voluntary Nationwide Recall Of One Lot Of 1% Lidocaine HCI Injection, USP 10 MG Per ML, 30 ML Single-Dose. Preservative-Free, Due To Particulate Matter