Weight loss, metabolism and the diabetes link
by Aimee Keenan-Greene
Gastric bypass surgery may make diabetes disappear, according to researchers at Columbia and Duke Universities.
Researchers studied severely obese diabetic patients who had weight loss surgery or went on strict diets.
Both groups lost 20 pounds, but levels of circulating amino acids - the compounds linked with obesity, diabetes and insulin resistance, were significantly reduced in surgery patients.
Scientists will focus on developing medications to replicate this effect without surgery.
Gastric bypass can reduce the size of the stomach by well over 90 percent.
According to another recent study in the journal Pediatrics, adolescents who underwent weight loss surgery lose significant bone mass as part of initial weight loss.
According to Lifespan in Rhode Island, adults with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 25 but less than 30 are overweight. Adults with a BMI greater than 30 are obese. Anyone more than 100 pounds overweight or with a BMI greater than 40 is considered morbidly obese.
The percentage of overweight children has doubled in the last 20 years, while the percentage of adolescents who are obese has tripled, says Lifespan.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says childhood obesity affects nearly 12.5 million children and teens nationwide.
Obese youth are more likely to become overweight or obese adults, and more at risk for associated future adult health problems, including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, several types of cancer, and osteoarthritis.
An estimated 15,000 children are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and about 3,700 youth are diagnosed with type 2 annually in the U.S., according to the CDC.
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Allergy Alert On Undeclared Milk In Nutrition Resource Services, Inc.'s Whey, Casein, And Colostrum Protein Products
- Kilwin's Quality Confections, Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Cashew in Sugar Free Milk Chocolate Caramels
- Whole Foods Market Recalls Coconut Curry Cauliflower Salad in Twenty-one Stores Due to Undeclared Almonds
- The Kraft Heinz Company Voluntarily Recalls Select Varieties of Kraft Singles Products Due to Potential Choking Hazard
- 31,254 more signatures needed for GMO labeling - EWG -updated