FTC Warns Against Credit Card Interest Rate Reduction Scams (PR)
U.S. consumers are being inundated with prerecorded “robocalls” from companies claiming they can negotiate lower credit card interest rates – for a fee. The Federal Trade Commission urges extreme skepticism about these offers, because many of them are fraudulent.
In a new consumer alert, Credit Card Interest Rate Reduction Scams, the FTC says consumers have just as much clout with their credit card issuers as these companies do. It urges consumers to avoid paying middlemen, and negotiate directly with the credit card companies.
To learn more about managing credit cards and avoiding phone scams, go tohttp://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt178.shtm.
The FTC, the nation’s consumer protection agency, has free information to help consumers manage their personal finances. Visit www.ftc.gov/moneymatters to learn more.
The Federal Trade Commission works for consumers to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices and to provide information to help spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint in English or Spanish, visit the FTC’s online Complaint Assistant or call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357). The FTC enters complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to more than 1,800 civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad. The FTC’s Web site provides free information on a variety of consumer topics.
- MEDIA CONTACT:
- Office of Public Affairs
(FYI interest scams)
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Latest USDA Scandal: Organic Program Dismisses Legal Complaints Targeting Factory Farms — Without Investigating
- Addictive and Toxic: Found in Bread, Pasta Sauce and Salad Dressing
- Elevated cholesterol and triglycerides may increase the risk for prostate cancer recurrence
- Food & Water Watch and Water Defense Call For Halt to Irrigating Food Crops with Oil Field Wastewater in Nation’s Produce Basket
- ZIP-PAK® NAMED 2014 SUPPLIER OF THE YEAR BY TYSON FOODS