Coconut oil cure for Alzheimer's disease?
By Maria Cendejas
Coconut oil is a popular nutritional oil. Coconut oil is heat stable, making it suitable for cooking at high temperatures. It is slow to oxidize, resists rancidity and has a shelf life of approximately two years or more; virgin coco creme created through a wet-milling process has an indefinite shelf life, according to Natural News,
The coconut possesses a wide variety of health benefits due to its fiber and nutritional content, but it is the oil that makes it a remarkable source of food and medicine. It has definitely earned its reputation as the healthiest oil in the world despite the fact that its high saturated fat content was once falsely claimed to be unhealthy.
Coconut oil has many health benefits which are attributed to the presence of lauric acid. When it is present in the body, it is converted into monolaurin, a compound that is highly toxic to viruses, bacteria, funguses and other microorganisms because of its ability to disrupt their lipid membranes and virtually destroy them.
Hair care: The fatty acids in coconut oil have a small molecular structure and pass freely into the hair's cell membrane, that allows the oil to penetrate the hair's shaft.
Skin care: It's an excellent skin conditioner containing medium-chain triglycerides, naturally occurring fats which deeply penetrate, and the oil provides sun protection by screening 20% of ultraviolet exposure.
Weight loss: Medium-chain fatty acids found in coconut oil can speed up metabolism faster than long-chain fatty acids because they are easily digested and converted into energy.
Natural remedy for pneumonia: In a study from The American College of Chest Physicians on October 29, 2008, found that coconut oil offered pneumonia patients faster and more complete relief from symptoms.
Bone health and chronic fatigue: Research has found coconut oil helps prevent osteoporosis because it helps in the nutrient absorption of minerals such as calcium and magnesium.
Alzheimer's Disease: Dr. Mary Newport discovered that coconut oil contains natural medium-chain triglycerides (MCT). The same substance was used in a drug trial which her husband failed to qualify for. She gave her husband one tablespoon of coconut oil twice a day for a month and a half and saw him almost completely recovered.
And other beneficial use for coconut oils:
• Protects against cancer and HIV and other infectious diseases
• Kills bacteria and parasites like tape worm and liver flukes
• Eases acid reflux, aids in proper bowel function
• Lowers incidence of hemorrhoids
• Heals and relieves intestinal problems
• Soothes earaches
• Deals with symptoms connected with prostate enlargement
• Strengthens the liver and protects against degeneration
• Reduces incidence of epileptic seizures
• Reduces joint and muscle inflammation
• Eases neuropathies and itching from diabetes.
(Send your news to [email protected], Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Newsweek's Coverage of the Cochrane Review on Fluoridation
- Incidence of foodborne illness in 2009 - CDC
- United Fresh Report Highlights Winter Foodservice Menu Trends for Fresh Produce
- The Benefits of Prenatal Vitamins for Mom and Baby
- The 6 Worst Brands of Bottled Water You Can Buy