L-Arginine reduces central obesity
Saturday may 24, 2014 (foodconsumer.org) -- Visceral adiposity or central obesity has been linked to higher risk of cardiometabolic disease than other types of adiposity. A new study recently published in Journal of Dietary Supplements suggests taking L-arginine as a dietary supplement may help reduce central adiposity or obesity.
Early studies have shown L-arginine reduces visceral obesity and fat mass in animals. The current study led by Ryan T. Hurt, MD, PhD from Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, USA and colleagues shows L-arginine works well to reduce central obesity in non-diabetic obese people.
The study involved 20 female obese subjects aged between 18 and 40 years of age who had a body mass index of greater than 30 kg/m2, yet smaller than 40 kg/m2 and a waist circumference of greater than 89 centimeters.
For the study, participants were assigned to take 3 grams of L-arginine a time, three times per day for 12 weeks. They also were counseled on lifestyle modification.
Waist circumference was significantly reduced from 115.6 cm at baseline to 109.2 cm at 12 weeks and body weight was decreased from 98.6 kg at baseline to 95.7 kg at 12 weeks.
The study concluded "L-Arginine may be effective at reducing central adiposity in obese patients."
L-arginine is a natural amino acid that is found high in peanuts. Men who want to produce a high load of semen can consider using L-arginine supplements. L-arginine is also good for the cardiovascular system.
In addition to L-arginine, common effective alternative treatments for obesity include garcinia cambogia, raspberry ketones, spirulina and green coffee beans.
Those who do not believe in dietary supplements may naturally lose weight or prevent obesity by doing the following:
1) Avoid processed foods; particularly foods loaded with added sugar and fat/oil.
2) Cook meals for yourself, but do not use too much cooking oil. Do not use too much salt for your foods. When you need to use oil, use olive oil or sunflower oil.
3) Eat meals very slowly. Make sure to chew each bite 30 times before you swallow it.
4) Eat dinner early and sleep early. And do not eat anything before going to sleep.
5) Eat a vegetarian diet only. (David Liu, PHD)
(Send your news to [email protected], Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Will U.S. Slaughterhouses Be Targeted for Immigration Raids?
- Believe it or not, baking soda fights cancer
- Prostate Cancer Treatment Choices
- Beware: 'Gluten-Free' Foods are Often Contaminated
- Good cancer news - eggplant extract fights skin cancer!