Vitamin B complex improves mood in adults with depression
By Jimmy Downs
Wednesday Jan 29, 2013 (foodconsumer.org) -- A new study published this year in ISRN Psychiatry suggests that depression may be caused by the deficiency of B vitamins and vitamin B supplementation can help adults with depression.
The study led by John E. Lewis from Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami in Miami, Florida, USA and colleagues shows a vitamin B supplement improved depressive and anxiety symptoms in adults with depression, compared to placebo in other adults.
Some nutrients such as inositol and S-adenosyl methionine have already been known to be effective at improving depressed mood, according to the authors.
The current randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial involving 60 adults with major depression evaluated the efficacy of a nutritional supplement of B vitamins called Max Stress B and found a 30-day supplementation of this B vitamin complex could not only improved depressed mood, but also significantly improved the mental health scale of the SF-36 or quality of life in adults with depression.
B vitamins include vitamin B1 (thiamine), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B3 (niacin or niacinamide), vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine, pyridoxal, or pyridoxamine, or pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B7 (biotin), vitamin B9 (folic acid), and vitamin B12 (various cobalamins; commonly cyanocobalamin in vitamin supplements).
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- The GM Contamination Register: a review of recorded contamination incidents associated with genetically modified organisms (GMOs), 1997–2013
- Vitamin D supplements help diabetes mellitus type 1, type 2
- What Temperature to Cook a Turkey - Safe Cooking
- Impacts of genetically engineered crops on pesticide use in the U.S. -- the first sixteen years
- Documentary, “Poison on the Platter”: GE Foods Are Spreading Across India