TOP FLUORIDE NEWS STORIES OF 2011
NEW YORK, Feb. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Misinformed fluoridation promoters falsely assure unquestioning and confused legislators that fluoride-laced water is safe for everyone and no credible evidence proves otherwise. However, hundreds of studies and an abundance of evidence prove them wrong, reports the New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, Inc. (NYSCOF).
Here's what happened in 2011
1) U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) recommends lowering water fluoride levels due to fluoride's harmful dental effects
For over 6 decades, HHS assured Americans that artificially fluoridated water was safe for everyone to drink. But they were wrong. About 50% of U.S. adolescents have fluoride-ruined teeth or dental fluorosis – white spotted, yellow, brown and/or pitted teeth. So HHS' recommends lowering "optimal" water fluoride levels.
2) HHS recommends avoiding fluoridated water when making infant formula to prevent dental fluorosis (discolored teeth)
Many government, health and dental agencies report that babies who consume fluoridated water are more apt to have fluoride-discolored/damaged teeth without benefit of less tooth decay. (References: http://www.FormulaFluoride.Webs.com)
3) The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will lower safe water fluoride levels to protect bones and teeth
The prestigious National Research Council found EPA's current safe water fluoride levels can adversely affect bones and teeth. EPA's Office of Water will lower safe water fluoride levels
4) U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports growing numbers of U.S. children have fluoride-damaged teeth, arguably at epidemic proportions.
Due to fluoride over-exposure, the CDC reports that over 41% of 12-15 years olds are afflicted with dental fluorosis. However, no research was conducted to discover what fluoride over-exposure has done to children's bones.
5) Fumigant sulfuryl fluoride found to leave health-damaging levels of fluoride residues on food
EPA's Office of Pesticides proposes to ban fumigant sulfuryl fluoride because harmful fluoride levels remain on many foods e.g. cocoa beans and dried eggs.
6) Even fluoride-seller, Colgate, reports that studies confirm "the association between infant formula consumption and permanent dentition fluorosis."
Colgate joins many government, health and dental organizations in advising that infant formula should not be mixed with fluoridated water to lower babies' risk of developing dental fluorosis (http://www.FormulaFluoride.Webs.com), but this is little publicized.
7) Infant juices contain non-labeled tooth-damaging fluoride levels
Commonly-consumed infant fruit juices contain fluoride, some at levels higher than recommended for pubic water supplies, according to research presented at the International Association for Dental Research annual meeting.
8) More studies published linking fluoride to human brain damage and lower IQ
A review of studies published in Neurologia reports, "The prolonged ingestion of fluoride may cause significant damage to health and particularly to the nervous system." The research team reports, "It is important to be aware of this serious problem and avoid the use of toothpaste and items that contain fluoride, particularly in children as they are more susceptible to the toxic effects of fluoride."
A paper in the Journal of Dental Research by dentist Chester Douglass and colleagues, "An Assessment of Bone Fluoride and Osteosarcoma," claims to show no association between fluoride bone levels and osteosarcoma, a form of bone cancer. However, Douglass' study has serious scientific flaws and is incapable of disproving a previous study (Bassin et al., 2006) which linked water fluoridation to osteosarcoma.
10) Prominent Hispanic Civil Rights Group Opposes Fluoridation
The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) opposes fluoridation as a civil rights violation and because "theNational Research Council in 2006 established that there are large gaps in the research on fluoride's effects on the whole body; a fact that contradicts previous assurances made by public health officials and by elected officials, that fluorides and fluoridation have been exhaustively researched."
11) Prominent Civil Rights Leaders Oppose Fluoridation
Because fluoride can disproportionately harm poor citizens and black families, Atlanta civil rights leaders, former UN Ambassador Andrew Young, Reverend Gerald Durley, PhD, Martin Luther King’s daughters, Bernice and Alveda. askedGeorgia legislators to repeal the state's mandatory water fluoridation law.
Bipartisan group cites risks for citizens and water utilities. Tennessee, once 99% fluoridated, is now down in the low 90's according to the American Dental Association News.
A 13-year-old's fluoride-discolored teeth were allegedly caused by drinking fluoridated bottled water since infancy. Her mom is suing the bottlers for the cost to cover up the unsightly teeth.
14) Review of Fluoride Supplement Studies Show No Evidence of Safety - No Benefit Either
According to the Cochrane Oral Health Group, fluoride supplements fail to reduce tooth decay in primary teeth, permanent teeth cavity-reduction is dubious and health risks are little studied -- The Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends NO fluoride supplementation because "Too much fluoride causes streaks in the teeth" and it's impossible to determine a child's individual daily fluoride intake from all sources. Sodium fluoride supplements "have not been found by FDA to be safe or effective," according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
15) Dental hygienist's Master's thesis and experience shows no Benefit from fluoridation
In a Master's thesis, a dental hygienist, with 20 years experience in a clinic for low-income children, noticed these children had significant tooth decay in spite of fluoridation. When people were educated about fluoride's risks and benefits, they stopped drinking fluoridated water, she reported.
16) CDC Reveals Fluoridation Fails Alaskans
The CDC reports that 91% of rural Alaskan Native adolescents have cavities whether their water is fluoridated or not. The CDC acknowledges that poor diets and lack of dental care are the probable culprits.
17) Pew Charitable Trust uses propaganda, PR and political clout to force more fluoride into people who don't want it.
The Pew Charitable Trust paid for lobbyists to misinform Arkansas state legislators into mandating fluoridation statewide which nullified local referendums where residents said NO to fluoridation. Pew continues to contaminate local fluoridation politics in New Hampshire, Iowa, Austin and elsewhere.
18) The Council of Canadians, Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment and Great Lakes United demand an end to fluoridation
19) Dr. Joe Mercola, owner of the world's most visited natural health website conducted Fluoride Awareness Week
Dr. Mercola reveals the science behind fluoride's adverse health effects to the brain, bones, the thyroid and pineal glands.
20) New York City Council Members introduce legislation (Int 0463-2011) to stop fluoridation
City Council Member Peter Vallone, Jr. says, "There is a growing body of evidence that fluoride does more harm than good."
"Those who claim fluoridation is harmless for everyone and that fluoride's health effects have been exhaustively studied cannot be trusted because that's simply not true," says Beeber.
SOURCE: New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, Inc., PO Box 263, Old Bethpage, NY 11804
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Documentary “Shots in the Dark” Delves into Catastrophic Vaccine Reactions
- Opioid painkillers widely prescribed among reproductive age women
- Fresh Cheeses and Sour Cream Recalled
- Elevated cholesterol and triglycerides may increase the risk for prostate cancer recurrence
- Gonnella Baking Company Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Milk in Jewel Brand Gourmet Sandwich Rolls and Gonnella Brand Sub Buns