California Firm Recalls Raw Stuffed Chicken Product
California Firm Recalls Raw Stuffed Chicken Product Due To Misbranding and Undeclared Allergens
Recall Release CLASS I RECALL
FSIS-RC-040-2012 HEALTH RISK: HIGH
Congressional and Public Affairs
WASHINGTON, June 13, 2012 - Antonelli's and Sons, a South San Francisco, Calif. establishment, is recalling approximately 3,534 pounds of a raw stuffed chicken product because of misbranding and undeclared ingredients, including known allergens. The product may contain the following undeclared ingredients: milk, soy and monosodium glutamate (MSG), which are not noted on the label.
The product subject to recall is: [View Label]
- Approx. 1-lb. trays of "TRADER JOE'S CRANBERRY APPLE STUFFED CHICKEN BREAST," with a Use By date of 06/13/12 through 06/23/12 located on a sticker in the top right corner of the package.
The product subject to recall bears the establishment number "P-22018" inside the USDA mark of inspection. The product was packaged between June 1, 2012, and June 11, 2012, and was distributed to retail establishments in Arizona, California, Oregon and Washington. When available, the retail distribution list will be posted on FSIS' website atwww.fsis.usda.gov/FSIS_Recalls/
The problem was discovered by FSIS personnel during a label review and may have occurred as a result of a change in an ingredient used in the product. FSIS and the company have not received reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of this product. MSG is not classified as an allergen, but can cause a brief reaction in people with a sensitivity to MSG. Anyone concerned about a reaction should contact a healthcare provider.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.
Consumers with questions about the recall should call the company's Chief Operating Officer, Larry Barron, at (650) 952-7413. Media with questions regarding the recall should contact the company's Chief Executive Officer, Silio Antonelli, at (650) 952-7413.
Consumers with food safety questions can "Ask Karen," the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day atAskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. "Ask Karen" live chat services are available Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day.
Retail Distribution List (PDF Only)
(Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Fresh Frozen™ Vegetables Recalled
- Hospira Issues A Voluntary Nationwide Recall Of One Lot Of Bupivacaine HCl Injection Due To Potential Iron Oxide Particulate In Glass Vials
- Organic Watchdog Grows Scientific Staff, Leadership Capacity The Cornucopia Institute Adds Staff, Announces Board Election Results
- Prominent Government Watchdog Asks Obama Administration to Remove Organic Leadership at USDA
- Addictive and Toxic: Found in Bread, Pasta Sauce and Salad Dressing