Ohio Firm Recalls Bolognese Sauce Products Due to Undeclared Allergens and Misbranding
Recall Release CLASS II RECALL
HEALTH RISK: HIGH
Congressional and Public Affairs
WASHINGTON, March 6, 2013 –Summer Garden Food Manufacturing, a Boardman, Ohio, establishment, is recalling approximately 25,000 lbs. of Bolognese sauce products because of undeclared allergens and misbranding. The products contain soy, wheat and MSG that are not declared on the label. Soy and wheat are known allergens.
The following products are subject to recall: [Labels]
- 24-oz. jars of “Giant Eagle Market District Bolognese Pasta Sauce” bearing the establishment number “EST. 34795” inside the USDA mark of inspection and bearing “Best By 12/05/2014 or 02/06/2015” on the lid.
The products were produced on Dec. 5, 2012, and Feb. 6, 2013, and shipped to distributors in Ohio and Pennsylvania for further retail sales.
The problem was discovered by the company during a quality control label review. The company then notified FSIS that the subcomponents of the cooked seasoned shredded beef were not included on the pasta sauce label. The subcomponents of the beef in the Bolognese sauce include soy, wheat and MSG. FSIS and the company have received no reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about a reaction should contact a health care provider.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and to ensure that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.
Consumers and members of the media with questions about the recall should contact Yvonne St. Pierre, the company’s Receptionist/Administrative Clerk, at (330) 743-6050 extension 1100.
Consumers with food safety questions can “Ask Karen,” the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day atAskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. “Ask Karen” live chat services are available Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. # Labels
- Vitamin E May Alleviate Symptoms of Liver Disease Brought on by Obesity
- URGENT: Repeal the Monsanto Protection Act, Let Farmers Grow Hemp, and More Farm Bill Alerts
- Getting to the Root of How GMO Plants Harm Food Production and Your Health
- Before your senators vote...
- Addictive and Toxic: Found in Bread, Pasta Sauce and Salad Dressing