Diabetes recipes: Beef or Turkey Stew
Beef or Turkey Stew / Carne de res o de pavo guisada
This dish goes nicely with a green leaf lettuce and cucumber salad and a dinner roll. Plantains or corn can be used in place of the potatoes.
1pound lean beef or turkey breast, cut into cubes
2Tbsp. whole wheat flour
¼tsp. salt (optional)
1½Tbsp. olive oil
2cloves garlic, minced
2medium onions, sliced
2stalks celery, sliced
1medium red/green bell pepper, sliced
1medium tomato, finely minced
5cups beef or turkey broth, fat removed
5small potatoes,peeled and cubed
12small carrots, cut into large chunks
1¼cups green peas
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Mix the whole wheat flour with salt, pepper, and cumin. Roll the beef or turkey cubes in the mixture. Shake off excess flour.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef or turkey cubes and sauté until nicely brown, about 7–10 minutes.
- Place beef or turkey in an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Add minced garlic, onions, celery, and peppers to skillet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and broth. Bring to a boil and pour over turkey or beef in casserole dish. Cover dish tightly and bake for 1 hour at 375 °F.
- Remove from oven and stir in potatoes, carrots, and peas. Bake for another 20–25 minutes or until tender.
Note: Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the american Diabetes association Exchange System.