Healthy Recipes: Three Bean Salad with Creamy Mustard Dill Dressing
Lighten up a traditional favorite – three bean salad – to keep it full of fiber, light on fat and low in sugar. With three different kinds of beans, you’ll get a healthy dose of cancer-fighting phytochemicals, including saponins that slow the growth of tumors in lab studies. The vitamin C packed bell peppers add color and crunch, too. Enjoy this quick and easy classic favorite that can also be made up to eight hours ahead of serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving:230 calories, 5 g total fat (<1 g saturated fat), 36 g carbohydrate,
11 g protein, 11 g dietary fiber, 390 mg sodium
- In mixing bowl, combine beans with onion and peppers, if using.
- For dressing, place in mini food processor the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, hot sauce, salt and pepper and whirl to combine.
- With the motor running, drizzle in oil.
- Add dressing to beans and mix to combine.
- If serving immediately, mix in dill and parsley. Or, cover the dressed beans and refrigerate for up to 8 hours, adding herbs just before serving.
Chickpeas (or garbanzos)
Great Northern beans
Kidney or red beans
Red bell pepper
Green bell pepper
Greek yogurt (Nonfat or 2%)
Coarse seed mustard