Fluoride causes insulin resistance
By Jimmy Downs
Saturday Sept 22, 2012 (foodconsumer.org) -- Fluoride can help prevent dental caries, which is the reason to fluoridate public drinking water system. But a growing body of evidence suggests that water fluoridation can cause more harm than good. Adverse effects of drinking fluoridated water that have been revealed include increased risk of multiple cancers such as bone cancer in boys, dental fluorosis and skeletal fluorosis, compromised intellectual quotient or IQ and damaged learning memory and reproduction.
A new study in Biological Trace Element Research has now found that exposure to fluoride causes insulin resistance, which is a feature of type 2 diabetes mellitus, and the harmful effect is dose responsive.
M. Lupo of Rosario National University in Santa Fe, Rosario, Argentina and colleagues conducted the study and found the association between increased risk of insulin resistance and exposure to fluoride added to drinking water.
For the study, four groups with each having four rats were induced to have renal insufficiency and four groups of four rats had normal kidney function, but were subjected to simulated surgery. All rats drank water either with 0, 1, 5 or 15 ppm fluoride added for sixty days.
A glucose tolerance test showed the same result in all rats regardless of fluoridation status. However, plasma insulin level increased with fluoride concentration in drinking water in both control rats and rats with renal insufficiency.
(Send your news to email@example.com, Foodconsumer.org is part of the Infoplus.com ™ news and information network)
- Organic Watchdog Grows Scientific Staff, Leadership Capacity The Cornucopia Institute Adds Staff, Announces Board Election Results
- Do Detox Therapies Work? Yes, According to Some Studies
- Blue Bell Creameries Voluntarily Expands Recall to Include All of its Products Due to Possible Health Risk
- Healthy recipes: Salad in a Jar with Lentils and Feta Cheese
- Early exposure to high fructose causes cardiac damage - study